If you’re a fan of good-old-fashioned pit BBQ, then you’ll want to make plans to attend the 2019 Kings of Q BBQ Cook-Off and Festival in Ayden. This city-wide, two-day event treats hungry patrons to piles and piles of smokey, savory goodness from more than 30 of the best pitmasters this side of the Mississippi River.
The festival is named in honor of two well-known BBQ kings: Latham “Bum” Dennis and the late Pete Jones. Each of their families run a popular BBQ joint here in Ayden (Bum’s Restaurant and Skylight Inn, respectively) and are descendants of Skilton Dennis, who is said to have started the first commercial BBQ business in the United States.
The festival kicks off Friday, May 17 and runs through Saturday, May 18. Read on to get all the details about participants, activities, and more!
Attendees will find the BBQ Cook-Off packed with fun things to do. Aside from the delicious BBQ, patrons can enjoy rides, vendors, tours, live music, and more! Here’s the official schedule for the whole event.
Friday, May 17
- 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm – Self-guided tour of the BBQ Village.
- 4:00 pm to 11:00 pm – Rides, Vendors, Crafts, and Beer Garden (Cindirene’s, 559 3rd St.) open
- 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm – Live music from Hip Pocket at West Avenue Stage
Saturday, May 18
- 8:00 am to 11:00 pm – Rides, Vendors, and Crafts open.
- 8:00 am to 11:00 am – Self-Guided Tour of BBQ Village (during this time, attendees can watch the teams in action).
- 11:00 am – People’s Choice Voting opens at 462 2nd St.
- 12:00 pm to 11:00 pm – Beer Garden opens
- 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm – Live Music from Various artists, West Avenue Stage
- 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm – Car Cruise – East Avenue between NC 102 and Second Street
- 5:00 pm – “Kings of Q” Awards Ceremony, West Avenue Stage
- 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm – Live Music from Bryan Mayer at West Avenue Stage
Vendor and Cook Team registrations are already closed. However, if you can still sign up to be a volunteer at the event. All you need to do is fill out the online volunteer form. Volunteer assignments will be made on site the day of the festival according to needs. If you have any questions, you can call Donna Robinson at 650-710-2815.
You might also like: Go Out For Breakfast In Ayden
Doug Henry Ford
While you’re around Ayden for the BBQ festival, come check out some of the smokin’ hot deals we’re cooking up at Doug Henry Ford. Come take a spin in the all-new Ford Escape or the fuel-efficient Ford Fusion. Or, if you need some serious power and tow, you can browse our selection of heavy-duty Ford trucks. Whatever your needs, we’re confident we can find the right vehicle for you!
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.